If your maid wished to extend her tenure (maid service) with you after having worked for your family for more than 2 years. You will probably need to help her renew her passport since most Indonesian maid will have a 24 pages passport that only last for 3 years.
Why you need to renew her passport?
1. You need to apply a new yearly working permit so you need a valid passport.
2. Passport is expiring, so how to apply a new working permit.
Normally those maid's agency will charge you anything from RM 400 - RM 500 for the service of renewing passport. Well thinking of after paying the $, you can walked off easily and let the agency deal with your maid. Hell wrong. Even after you had pay $, you will still need to bring your maid to the Indonesian Embassy to get her passport renew. Crazy idea right. Yes indeed it is very crazy and it just doesn't make sense at all. So in this case, money won't help you to solve your problem unless you managed to scout for under table dealings.
- Time Consuming
- Should reach embassy after 1230 hrs and before 1300 hrs because at 1200 hrs, the whole embassy people going off for lunch leaving no one to serve anyone. Crazy right. Yes believe it. Afternoon session, not that crowded. I reached embassy at 10am, jezz, packed like sardine.
- no appointment needed as compare to apply for US Visa.
- 4x passport size photo with RED background.
- bring original passport
- bring a copy of original passport
- bring a PEN. Jezz you need this to fill in the forms and you won't find any PENs provided at the embassy.
- a copy of employer's IC (be sure who is the employer, either the husband or wife)
- RM 12 for 4x passport photo
- RM 22 for 24 pages Indonesia passport
- RM 8 for parking at RHB building
- RM 15 for lunch for two at embassy's cafe
Contact of Indonesia Embassy:
- 03 - 2116 4000 (don't bother to call, take ages for someone to pick up the phone)
Updates: 11 May 2011
I just went to Indonesia Embassy to renew my maid's passport. This time is worse. I reached there around 9am and finished at 3.30pm. So many bureaucracy that cost the delay.
4.1 - First called, will be to counter 20 to submit the contract
- Take the blue form and contract (1 book = 3 copies of contract) (free)
- Take your number
- Maid to take the passport picture inside the embassy. (free)
- Wait for your number to be called
4.2 - Second called, to counter 12 / 13 to be interviewed by the staff. You will need to pay RM 18 for the passport.
4.2.1 - What is your employer full name?
4.2.2 - What is your last salary? (Please take note, embassy wanted RM 600. So you need to inform your maid to answer that else they won't allow you to renew the passport.)
Notes: Number will be given to public up to 10:30 AM. So if you reached there after 10:30 AM, you won't be served.
- copy of passport
- copy of levy/visa/permit
- 2 copies of employer IC
- 1 copy of marriage certificate if employer name in the maid permit is not yours.
- BRING PENS ALONG
- 1 copy of Maid's personal insurance. You can get this from post office / RHB bank for RM 85 for 2 years or RM 60 for 1 year.