- Travelling to work 25 km for one way = 2 (ways) x 25 x 5 (days in a week) = 250 km.
- On a car that consumes 8 liters per 100km, that translates 20 litres.
- Before increase = 20 x 1.92 = RM 38.40
- After increase = 20 x 2.70 = RM54.20
- Extra RM 15.80 per week, 1 year = 52 (weeks) x RM 15.80 = RM 821.60 extra needed just to go to work.
- Take additional 100km for weekend grocery sourcing/sending kids to tuition/family gathering/etc.
- Hence Average per week = 350km, equivalent to 28 liters per week.
- Before increase = 28 x 1.92 = RM 53.76
- After increase = 28 x 2.70 = RM 75.60
- 1 month = (on average 4 x 21.84 = RM 87.36)
- FINAL TOTAL = 52 x RM 21.84 = RM 1135.68 EXTRA is needed. Minus the RM 625 (rebates (hmm when will get it arr? Will it reach us?), RM 510.68 is needed. RM 42.56 per week.)
- Hints: This is an average calculation, for myself, I pumped an average of RM 70.00 per week. After 40.625% increase, I need to pumped an average of RM 98.44 per week for an average 450 km in distance.
- Hints: Government is expecting us
- Don't go shopping at shopping mall.
- Don't buy new clothes.
- Don't buy anything.
- Eat lesser.
- Don't get anything from the retailer. Save money. Plant your own vegies, rear your own chicken.
- Don't visit any relatives.
- Don't send your kids to tuition class.
- Don't eat at any hawker stalls or restaurant. Cook yourself.
- Better still, don't drive (But no proper transport system, how leh?)
- Obviously almost all food/non-food items will increase after this DISASTER.
- The hawkers/restaurant won't bother on government pleas on not to increase price. Think of this, those folks need to make a living also. I really hope the increase will not be a huge one like petrol but rather manageable.
- Addtional RM 100 for food items.
- Additional RM 50 on non-food items.
- As I calculated in this blog entry "New Electricity Tariff from 1 July 2008", average RM 5 - 20 extra is needed.
Petrol = RM 87.36
Food = RM 100
Non Food = RM 50
Electricity = RM 5
TOTAL = Minimum RM 242.36 extra is needed.
1 Family with 2 cars = RM 329.72
1 Family with 3 cars = RM 417.08
and so on ...
Notes: The above calculation is on the modest expectation on a family expenditure.