Thursday, July 31, 2008

NRD: Male is ODD, Female is Even?

It was reported in The Sun, Thursday 31 July 2008.

NRD Corporate Communications Officer, Janisah Mohd Noor said, "NRD would like to make it cleaer that it is not stated in any act of law or procedures in the department that odd numbers are reserved for male and even numbers for female."


I find this very weird. I did a quick analysis and survey at my workplace. Guess what?

1. Out of 10 males that I survey, ALL 10 males having odd number for their IC.

2. Out of 10 females that I survey, ALL 10 females having even number for their IC.

How can above analysis explain what Janisah had said? If there is no any act of law or procedures in the department that odd numbers are reserved for male and even numbers for female, then the distribution of odd and even numbers should be random rather than follow a specific pattern where ALL males having ODD number and ALL females having EVEN number.

Random Distribution can be explained by Poisson Distribution here and here.

I did a quick simulation using Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet.

My survey and analysis with 10 males and 10 females from office. This contradict with the statement given by NRD Corporate Communications Officer, Janisah Mohd Noo.


If the process indeed is random, we should get graph something like below


My random simulation shows that 6 Females getting ODD number and 4 Females getting EVEN number

My random simulation shows that 3 Males getting ODD number and 7 Males getting EVEN number

PS: The only explanation that I can guess is, my sample data size is not big enough. But then what is the probability of me getting ALL 10 males having ODD number and ALL 10 females having EVEN number?

No comments: